Cheesy-ranch a Chex Mix even Big Guy loves
When Big Guy met last night's new round of Chex Mix, he was determined to munch around the margins, picking out the Goldfish. Then he spied a spattering of toasty cheese dust. "What's that?" he asked, for once wrinkling his nose out of curiosity instead of disgust.
"That's sprinkle cheese," I said, using our non-trademarked term for Parmesan. And everyone knows Parmesan makes anything taste better.
He tentatively nibbled a corn Chex. Then he moved on to a pretzel. "Yummy!" he finally admitted.
I, of course, messed with the original recipe because I like more flavoring than Chex thinks is required. I also used homemade ranch-dressing mix to avoid including garlic. And I substituted a combination of Parmesan Goldfish and Annie's Organic Cheddar Bunnies for traditional cheese crackers in an attempt to increase the kid appeal. I increased the amount of crackers, too
It worked, even for Big Guy.
Cheesy-ranch Chex Mix
- 9 cups Corn Chex, Rice Chex or Wheat Chex cereal (or combination) - I used corn only because we do not need to add more half-eaten boxes of cereal to our collection.
- 2 cups bite-size pretzel twists
- 3 cups bite-size cheese crackers
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 2 package (1 oz) ranch dressing and seasoning mix - I used 2 tbl. of the homemade mix
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese
Combine dry ingredients in large roaster. Drizzle with melted butter and mix. Combine ranch mix and cheese and stir in until even coated. Bake at 250 degrees for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Searchable recipe index
Copyright 2009 Debra Legg. All rights reserved.